This is one of my favorite recipes for Ginger Cookies and I make it every year!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses (I prefer Blackstrap Molasses vs. Fancy Molasses – they taste better that way)
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ginger (I grate fresh ginger root for this)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cloves
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Blend butter and shortening. Add sugar and mix. Add molasses and then eggs, mix. Add spices.
- Add flour (I recommend adding flour one cup at a time, by the 4th cup the mixture is very stiff).
- Shape into balls about the size of a walnut. Roll in white sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- I prefer to bake the cookies for 12 minutes at 325F
- I prefer Blackstrap Molasses over Fancy Molasses (fancy is too sweet)
- Each batch makes about 40 cookies