I love the holidays! Christmas has always been a special time of year for me and I look forward to it every year. Even in my 30s, I still find something so magical about the holidays…maybe it’s the Norman Rockwell-esque fantasies that play through my head! I find that the holidays are a great way to reconnect with friends we haven’t seen in awhile – after all, everyone wants to get together ‘because it’s the holidays’, which is as good of a reason as any!
We’re staying in for the first time in years and I couldn’t be more excited! Here is my list of fun things that I can’t wait to do this December as well as things that I love about the holidays. I hope that it inspires you to take time to make some holiday memories of your own.
- Ice Skating: Both my husband and I play hockey, but it is always fun to go to an outdoor rink for a skating date. This year, we plan to go to an outdoor rink that is downtown in our city called “Olympic Plaza” – I can’t wait!
- Sledding: I’ve always loved going tobogganing. Every time I see a wooden toboggan, I think of the Christmas morning that I woke up, came out of my bedroom and saw a big shiny toboggan on the couch in our living room. This memory is implanted in my brain and it always makes me smile.
- Christmas Trees: This year we are going to cut down our own Christmas tree! This is something we did the year that we got married and it was so much fun. I can’t wait to do it again.
- Lights: I love grabbing a hot chocolate (with Baileys, of course!) and wandering through the neighbourhood to look at all of the light displays. Our pup, Hattie (shown above), loves looking at lights, too!
- Egg Nog: Every year on Christmas Eve my Dad makes homemade egg nog. It’s the only stuff I’ll drink and I only drink one glass a year!
- Holiday Specials: I love watching holiday specials on TV (even though I have them all on DVD because I love them so much). My favorites (in order) are: Charlie Brown, The Grinch, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Oh, and who can forget the SNL Christmas Special!
- Holiday Movies: It’s a ton of fun to get in your pjs and watch some holiday favorites. My list includes: Elf, Home Alone, Love Actually and White Christmas.
- Christmas Music: Something that I love about the holidays is the music everywhere. I love the classic carols, but also the jazz and more modern renditions. I listen to it all through December.
- Wrapping Gifts: Wrapping gifts is something I have always loved to do – so much so that people have paid me to wrap for them! I find it relaxing…
- Christmas Parties: I don’t get many opportunities to get dressed up and go out (especially since I work from home!), so going to holiday parties is something I love doing each year. It’s also a great way to reconnect with old friends and make some new ones, too!
- Baking: I don’t do alot of baking throughout the year, but I try to go all out for the holidays. My favorites to make are: Butter Tarts, Gingerbread Cookies, Shortbread and Savory Gruyere Crackers.
- World Junior Hockey Tournament: This starts on Boxing Day (December 26th for you non-Canadians) and runs into the new year. It is so much fun to watch the up and coming hockey players! Watching Canada play in this tournament has been a tradition of ours for years.