The Polar Express is one of my favourite Christmas books/movies so you can imagine my excitement when I found out there was a live-action version in my home province! Up to Stettler, Alberta we went to experience The Polar Express on the Alberta Prairie Railway!
Warning: This post is just a sneak peek of what you can expect! A small highlight reel to get you excited for the trip (I didn’t want to spoil the magic for you!).
Want to see a sneak peek into what the train ride is like? Head to my IGTV for the quick video!
On your way to The North Pole, you will be served hot chocolate and a cookie treat by singing and dancing chefs! Hot Hot Hot – Hot Chocolate! You get to take this cup home with you, too!
You can’t ride The Polar Express to The North Pole without a ticket! Everyone is provided a punched ticket by the conductor! Be sure to keep an eye out for other colourful characters while on board, too!
While waiting for Santa to board the train, workers hand out song books and there is a Christmas carol sing-a-long of some holiday favourites! Everyone is of course anxiously waiting our arrival at The North Pole where we get to meet Santa!
When Santa arrives, everyone is very excited (naturally!). He comes through the train cars to snap photos and greet all of the guests. Each child is handed a silver bell from the man in red himself!
Throughout the ride you can expect a reading of the story book, fun and laughter (especially as the train reaches The North Pole!) and a very interactive experience.
We had a great time aboard The Polar Express! The chefs, conductors and everyone involved made it a really magical experience. This is a great way to get into the holiday spirit and is fun for kiddos and adults alike!
Things To Know Before You Go:
- Stettler is east of Red Deer, so plan your journey accordingly to arrive on time.
- Stettler is a great town with plenty of dining options for before/after the train ride, if you require.
- The train cars are heated and there is a warm tent to wait in until the train arrives.
- Be sure to arrive early to see the train make its grand entrance into the station!
What to Wear/Bring:
- You’re encouraged to wear PJs just like the kiddos in the book!
- There is a souvenir tent that is open before/after the train rides where you can pick up copies of the book, tshirts, holiday ornaments and other souvenir gear.
- On the train you will be given hot chocolate in a souvenir collectible mug plus a reusable bag to take the mugs home in.
- Santa comes through the train and gives each child a silver bell. This bell is engraved with the date!
Be sure to tag your photos with @albertasteamtrain and #thepolarexpress!