The Calgary Stampede, dubbed “The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth” is a 10-ish day event in Calgary, Canada that sees tourists, participants and residents alike all dressed in western gear. Offices allow employees to wear jeans and boots to work and hats and belt buckles abound across the city. If you’re a Calgarian, you likely own a pair of cowboy boots and a collection of western attire that tends to grow a bit each year. This capsule wardrobe is often stored away for the other 355 days a year, save for an extra rodeo, country music concert or local event that might require this particular garb.
If you’re not a local and/or might be attending the Stampede for the first time, here are a few tips on what to wear not just to fit in, but to get in on the fun.
It’s a pretty easy formula. The easiest way to get in the spirit is to start with denim of some kind – jeans, cut-off shorts or a skirt. Next, add something plaid, but not flannel – temperatures can get pretty hot in Calgary in early July. Luckily for women, all of those great boho-festival-ready pieces work here, too. Peasant and off-the-shoulder tops, turquoise jewelry, leather saddle bags and anything with fringe work for a more modern-cowgirl look.
Here are our favorite (and easy to find) looks for the Calgary Stampede!
- Roxy ‘Rock Star’ Plaid Shirt ($29.70 on sale for 40% off!, Nordstrom). This breezy plaid shirt is great with shorts, jeans, or a skirt. Perfect for all the outdoor shows!
- Levi’s ‘501 Customized’ Distressed Rolled Denim Shorts ($68, Nordstrom). These classic cutoffs are perfect for Stampede!
- Chloe & Katie ‘Off the Shoulder Crop Top’ ($20.40 on sale!, Nordstrom). This is a great hot weather top and works with any denim bottoms and is perfect for showing off a belt buckle. Wear a higher waisted style for a more conservative look.
- STS Blue ‘Distressed Cutoff Denim Shorts’ ($42, Nordstrom). I love a distressed denim short and these ones are really affordable!
- BP ‘Plaid Sleeveless Shirt’ in Ivory Egret Lola Plaid ($14.97 on sale for 60% off!, Nordstrom). It’s great to have a breezy plaid top and this sleeveless one is stylish and great for warm weather.
- Hudson ‘Krista’ Ankle Jeans in Dream On ($195, Nordstrom). I prefer a skinny ankle jean when wearing cowboy boots – they’re super flattering and really comfortable for an afternoon at the rodeo!
- Hinge ‘Embroidered Split Sleeve Top’ ($78, Nordstrom). This is a great basic top that can be themed-up with accessories.
- 7 For All Mankind ‘Released Hem Denim Skirt’ in Mykonos Dark Indigo ($149, Nordstrom). I love this skirt – it has a bit of stretch and the released hemline makes it more casual and fun.
Take your every day denim and neutral tops to the next level of Stampede Style with the right cowboy add-ons. Belts, boots, hats and a few pieces of cute jewelry should do the trick!
- BP ‘Cowboy Hat’ ($24, Nordstrom). This is such an affordable cowboy hat, especially for those who only wear them 10 days a year! Perfect for those hot Stampede afternoons.
- Aegean Drops Earrings ($34, BaubleBar). These tasseled drop earrings are so much fun and add a pop of color to any outfit. The turquoise is really on point for Stampede.
- Indio Pendant Necklace in ‘Turquoise’ ($42, BaubleBar). Skip the bolo tie in favor of this great pendant – it’s perfect over a basic top.
- Hing ‘Layla’ Open Weave Straw Cowboy Hat ($22.80 on sale for 40% off!, Nordstrom). This is a really versatile hat – the sides can be rolled up for a more western style!
- Arrowhead Ring ($42, BaubleBar). This great cocktail ring is the perfect accessory to any Stampede outfit.
- Fossil ‘Scallop Edge Leather Belt’ ($34, Nordstrom). I love this belt – it has a bit of western flair, but isn’t so overtly western that you can’t wear it all year long. It’s also available in black.
- Fossil ‘Floral Floral Embossed Leather Belt’ ($38, Nordstrom). This floral print belt works for both Stampede and outdoor music festivals.
- Rebecca Minkoff ‘Unlined Saddle Bag’ ($295, Nordstrom). I love the pebbled leather and studded detailing on this bag. A great leather crossbody is a must for Stampede – it holds all of your essentials but leaves your hands free for dancing and cocktails.
- JSLIDES ‘Austin’ Fringe Bootie in Chestnut Suede ($82.90 on sale for 45% off!, Nordstrom). These suede fringed booties are a modern take on a cowboy boot – especially with their side zip closure making them easier to get in and out of!
- Very Volatile ‘Lookout’ Fringe Bootie ($110, Nordstrom). These charcoal leather boots are styled with enough fringe to look western, but their color makes the versatile all year long.
Love This Post?
Subscribe to get posts like this delivered to your inbox every week