I love reading. I love how it makes me learn something new, challenges my expectations, and takes me to a new place I’ve never been before. However, reading is one of those things that, for me, is often shoved to the back burner.
“The world belongs to those who read.” – Rick Holland
I almost never sit down throughout the day to read a book. I often think of that as a luxury reserved for vacations, but it shouldn’t be! Reading is a workout for your brain! I read at night before bed, but at that point, not always for as long as I’d like.
You know what gets you reading more? A book club! Having a book chosen for you and a deadline to finish it by, really makes you find the time to make reading a priority.
The most recent book club I joined is full of busy moms and women with full-time jobs that all see the challenge in making reading a priority. So, we motivated each other to finish a book every two months – that’s 6 books a year – that is totally do-able!
So now, how to start a book club:
- Find people that are interested in being a part of it!
- Choose a date/time/place to meet (it’s best to also select a book to finish by the first meeting).
- Feel free to make it a potluck – everyone can bring one item, while the host can provide something hot and the beverages. Food and drinks make everything more fun!
- Chit-Chat and hang out, but at some point, sit down and ask some questions about the book (these are easy to find online) – get the conversation started!
- Then draw a name for the next host of book club. The next host will choose the date/time/place and also the book to be finished by then (give them at least a week to decide on their book selection, if they need it). When it’s their turn, they will now be in charge of providing the hot food and beverages, and will find the questions to ask about the book.
I better get back to my book…
Happy reading, y’all!
Love This Post?
Subscribe to get posts like this delivered to your inbox every week